Pages

Friday, November 16, 2012

In The Brown And Red Water


On Saturday, our English class went to the Playhouse Theatre to see the showcase of In the Brown and Red Water. I have seen a Broadway production and a few high school productions but I have never been to a play or performance at Penn State. I was unsure of what to expect in a college level production. Was it going to be more similar to high school or more professional like Broadway? The play began with the cast on stage. I did not read a summary of the play prior to seeing it, which was probably a bad idea because I was a little confused. The music and choreography looked very spiritual and African. On the other hand, the language and tone of the characters seemed more American. The story was about a teenage girl, Oyá, living in the projects of Louisiana. Oyá is an exceptional runner and “The Man from State” even offers her a college scholarship – away from the poverty and poor lifestyle. However, due to her mother’s, Mama Moja, illness, Oyá has to turn down this opportunity. This is a huge let down because this is a dream and once in a lifetime chance. When Mama Moja dies early in the play, Oyá’s life seems to spin out of control . As the play goes on, we follow Oyá as she becomes a woman and the choices she makes that impact her life. Oyá deals with normal adolescent experiences, like love and relationships. She is uncertain of whom she is and where life is going to take her. The boys of the projects woo over Oyá – they constantly pursue her. Shango, her first love, leaves her to go off to war. She then settles with a longtime friend, Ole Goo. Oyá knows that Ole Goo is not her soul mate, but she feels like she has no other choice. Every time Shango comes to visit, Oyá falls in love with him all over again. Oyá desperately wants to have a baby, but neither boy is able to get her pregnant. Towards the end of the play, Oyá finds out that Shango impregnated Shun, a girl from the projects. Devastated, Oyá, cuts off her ear and gives it to Shango as a gift to remember her by.
            In the Brown and Red Water was very different than any other play I have seen before because each character narrated their selves. For example if Shango oentered the stage he would announce, “Shango enters the stage.” There was a lot of singing and dancing which was absolutely fantastic. I found out that the girl who played Mama Moja, Aquila Kikora Franklin, also choreographed the entire production. I loved the dancing scenes because it was so exotic. The dancing was very tribal-like and wild. The actors were such good dancers and the music was terrific. On the side stage, you could see the little 3-person band with their instruments.
            I have to admit, however, that the play was extremely confusing and strange. The dialogue was very raunchy talking about oral sex and whatnot. I was sitting next to an elderly woman which was extremely awkward, yet kind of amusing. I have never seen a play before that was so uncensored.
            Overall, my experience at the Playhouse Theatre went well. I enjoy performances of all kinds and this was definitely entertaining. I do believe that In The Brown and Red Water closely resembled a Broadway production, more so than a high school one. Even though the stage set up never changed, the acting was very professional. It was an amazing experience and I will definitely go back to see another play!

2 comments:

  1. I was also a little confused in the beginning, but soon enough I started to understand the play. I really liked your summary of the play and the descriptive words you used in your summary. I'm glad you enjoyed the play like I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like most others, English is a very common course in their education. There has never been one year in my twelve years of education that I have not taken an English class. So, when I made my schedule for my first semester of college, my advisor told me to sign up for English 15S. I have never felt that English was a strong subject of mine, nor a very weak one. Anyways, my first impression of English 15S was pretty positive. I was happy to finally have a small, more personal size class like I was used to in high school. When it comes to speaking up in class, I’m very shy, however, I truly enjoy listening to class discussions. Words may not come out of my mouth during discussions, but I really am listening and thinking thoughts in my head!
    So, here we are – done with the first semester. Looking back, I can truly say that English 15S was my favorite class so far. It allowed me to write about things I actually enjoyed, and my true opinion. In high school, I was so accustomed to mandatory writing prompts, and essays about boring novels that I barely read. I have always loved art and everything about it. English 15S gave me a better appreciation of art and the beauty behind it. Also, English 15S opened my eyes to all sorts of things around campus that I normally would not have even considered. As a first year student, English 15S contributed to many “firsts” for me. For example, our field trips to the Palmer Museum of Art, the film festival, the arboretum, and a theatre production. If it was not for English 15S, I am pretty sure I would have not had these experiences. I thought that the blog idea was pretty cool. I have never had a blog so I got to learn a lot about what “blog life” is all about. Of course, my favorite part about the blog assignment was designing it. Should I use this font or that font? Which picture should I upload? I probably focused more time on that aspect of the blog than I should have. Overall, my favorite assignment was by far the memoir. I have never been able to write about something so openly and freely before. I felt like there were no limits when it came to the memoir – I loved that. I think English classes should be more like English 15S. Writing is an art; it’s a way to express oneself. In English 15S I learned how to take my opinion and express them with words.

    ReplyDelete